metamerist

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Authors, Two



The number of chilren's books I've read to my sons grows slowly but steadily. Of all so far, I have to say that those written by Kate DiCamillo are some of my absolute favorites. Her stories are wonderful. Her prose is most excellent in its timing and rhythm. It flows so gracefully and effortlessly. And that isn't always the case with children's books. I've often been surprised by the rambling, syncopated tongue-twisters penned by some authors of children's books, even classics.



Over the weekend, I picked up my wife's copy of Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer's book on Mormonism. It took only a few pages to suck me in, and it has been hard to put it down. Great writing, fascinating, riveting! Did you know that Joseph Smith once commanded an army half the size of the U.S. Army at the time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home