metamerist

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Van Tuong Nguyen

I'm not sure what can be done about this--I hope someone can get something done--but the least I can do with my miniscule slice of the blogosphere is try to help raise awareness:

Brian Weatherson of Crooked Timber writes:

"Next Friday, Singapore plans to hang Van Tuong Nguyen, a 25 year old man from Glen Waverley, the Melbourne suburb where I grew up. Nguyen’s crime against the state of Singapore was to change planes in Singapore while en route from Cambodia to Australia carrying 396 grams of heroin. I can see, dimly, how doing this kind of thing could be a crime against Cambodia, and a crime against Australia, but I can’t see how this kind of action could justifiably be punished by Singapore, when he hadn’t even passed through passport control into Singapore and clearly had no intention of doing so."

link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home