metamerist

Friday, December 09, 2005

My first semi-reflective 2005 list...

The Grammy nominations are out, so it's soon time for the music industry's perennial toast to quantity. I don't feel I've listened to enough discs in 2005 to warrant a 10 best list; frankly as far as it all goes, I've been hard pressed to find many classic-discs-to-be this year. Given that, I'm making this a list of the best music I discovered in 2005, regardless of when it was actually released.

The Best CD of [those I discovered in] 2005

It's a three-way tie. Five Leaves Left by Nick Drake (1969), Bryter Later by Nick Drake (1970) and Pink Moon by Nick Drake (1972). I'm sure I've heard him before, but an appearance on the Garden State soundtrack and couple of appearances in commercials brought Mr. Drake back into the limelight.

Honorable mention: Careless Love by Madeleine Peyroux (2004), The Garden State Soundtrack (2004), In Good Company Soundtrack (2004), Riot on an Empty Street by Kings of Convenience (2004), Poetry & Aeroplanes by Teitur (2003), Anything Else But the Truth by The Honorary Title (2004), Jackinabox by Turin Brakes (2005), Two Way Monologue by Sondre Lerche (2004). Details by Frou Frou (2002), and Bem-Vinda Vontade by Mice Parade (2005), The Life Aquatic Soundtrack (2004), The Motorcycle Diaries soundtrack by Gustavo Santoalalla (2004).

Without putting too much work into it, coming up with a list of favorite songs [discovered in] the year 2005 was easier.

The Best Songs of [those I discovered in] 2005

Us by Regina Spektor (2004). Vocals.
Misread by Kings of Convenience (2004). Best intro ever.
If I Ever Feel Better by Phoenix (2000). Catchy thing sticks in my head.
Starman by Seu Jorge (2004). Portuguese Bowie.
Inside & Out by Feist (2005). Best Bee Gees remake ever.
Everybody Wants You by Josh Kelly (2003).
Shade of Shadow by Teitur (2003). A favorite from a good disc.
Breathe by Telepopmusik (2002). Cool, dreamy, dance.
Breathe (2AM) by Anna Nalick (2005).
Breathe In by Frou Frou (2002). Imogen Heap's Amazing voice.
Maybe it's Just Me by Butch Walker (2004). Good pop tune.
Track You Down by Sondre Lerche (2004). Bad translation, but I like it.
Good Day by the Click Five (2005). 80s pop reminder.
The Irish Keep Gate Crashing by The Thrills (2004). "I can smell your Catholic shame."
Jackinabox by Turin Brakes (2005). Great song from this year's release.
Last Clown by Turin Brakes (2005). Another good song from this year's release.
Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz (2005). Yup.
Novacaine for the Soul by the Eels (1996). Ancient song, don't know how I missed it.
Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie (2005). Another real 2005 song!
Miles from Monterey by West Indian Girl (2004). Excellent.
Swingset Chain by Loquat (2005). Recent addition to my fave list.
Pink Moon by Nick Drake (1972). How to choose from so many great songs?
Catch the Sun by Jamie Cullum (2005). Remake of Doves tune.
Number 1 by Goldfrapp (2005). A good disc I should have included on the best list.


2005 discs I still need to hear: Fiona Apple, Ryan Adams, Kate Bush, Sufjan Stevens, My Morning Jacket, Iron & Wine, Jamiroquai.

Discs the critics love, but I don't get it: White Stripes (my vote for the group most desperately in need of more members), Franz Ferdinand (who occasionally fool me into believing the Strokes are starting to experiment a little), Sleater Kinney, Kanye West

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home