metamerist

Thursday, February 08, 2007

What is Intelligence, Anyway?

When I was sixteen, I was very excited to have a small article published a few pages after an article by Isaac Asimov. Every time I run into something written by Asimov, I'm reminded of it. Today I stumbled on an Asimov essay pondering a question I've often pondered myself.

What is Intellgence, Anyway?
Isaac Asimov

What is intelligence, anyway? When I was in the army, I received the kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100, scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that, and for two hours they made a big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP - kitchen police - as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that, so that I have the complacent feeling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so too. Actually, though, don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by people who make up the intelligence tests - people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles - and he always fixed my car.

continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home