metamerist

Friday, May 13, 2005

Whither thy blog roll?

At this point, I feel I've dabbled with blogging a bit. This is my most recent effort towards that end. It's often said that the first rule of writing is knowing your audience, but in the case of blogs, I don't think the rule applies. For many of us, the tag line from Field of Dreams is more apropos: "If you build it, they will come" (to which one should append "and if they don't, that's fine too").

Many of the blogs I enjoy most seem to be chance collections of interests that happen to have multiple intersections my own interests, and this seems to translate into an interesting and unique reading experience not found in publications targeted at larger, more general audiences.

Last I heard, Technorati was tracking over eight million blogs. Micropublishing, indeed. A number of blogs I follow were discovered by adding 'permalink' to my Google search criteria. Some of them I've been reading for what seems like quite a long time, but so far I haven't generated a blog roll. If I'm going to recommend a blog, I'd rather provide a little more information about it--at least a few words explaining what I like about it.

For example, a while ago, I stumbled upon a site created by Paul Harrison, which I've truly enjoyed. He's a PhD student at Monash University in Melbourne. He's written some GIMP plug-ins, a music visualizer, various Python goodies, etc., and his blog is filled with musings on many subjects I find interesting including neural networks, decision theory, probability theory, philosophy, etc. As far as it goes, odds are any blog with a post titled "Thomas Aquinas the Bayesian" will probably pique my curiosity (philosophy is a personal interests).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home